I am really feeling the love today. Groove Is In The Heart has been nominated for the Liebster Award – not once, but twice over the last month!
While the Liebster Award is not the Pulitzer Prize, it is a lovely initiative for bloggers to highlight the great work of other newcomers in the blogosphere. In a way, it’s like a virtual share-the-love blog chain letter: you decide whether you want to accept the award, tell a little bit more about yourself and then pay it forward by nominating other great new bloggers.
No-one really knows the origins of the award, but the name “Liebster” is a great choice as it means “dearest” or “beloved” in German and makes you feel all warm and fuzzy. Plus, it fits in perfectly with my blog’s happy theme of dream, live, love and travel.
So, as a new blogger (my blog is under four months old), I feel very flattered to be recognised by my peers and gladly accept the award. Thank you!
Let me tell you a little bit more about the two lovely bloggers who nominated me for the Liebster Award:
- My first nomination came from Sharon Mason over at A Ticket to Anywhere, who recently started a new adventure when she moved from the US to Hong Kong. Her kids are all grown up and she was just starting to think about retirement when this new opportunity came up. So now Sharon writes about her great adventures in Hong Kong. I just love how she incorporates the titles of songs in all of her blog titles!
- My second nomination came from Iriz Chan, a very talented photographer and blogger from the Philippines. I really love how she captures the most incredible moments on camera. The tagline to her blog “I see beauty in almost everything” could not be more fitting. Interestingly, I was going to nominate her blog for the Liebster Award because I love her work so much, but then she nominated me first!
Well, before I list my five favourite new blogs, let me share:
10 random facts about myself
- I love chocolate, champagne and olives (yes, in that weird order)
- I am afraid of heights and small spaces. I prefer having my feet planted firmly on the ground and a lot of space around me.
- I have a master’s degree in music and an honours degree in journalism.
- During my first year at university, I studied law – it was so not me! And then, from my second year, I was super happy when I switched to music and languages.
- My favourite composers are Bach, Beethoven and Brahms.
- I can be both an introvert and extrovert; and I have learned very recently that it is called being an ambivert.
- I hate fake and insincere people. I would rather have one true friend that a 100 fake ones.
- Even though springtime is my favourite season of the year (I love the fresh green foliage, pretty flowers and wonderful scents), I get really bad hayfever.
- I need sunshine. When I lived in Belgium and the UK for a few years, the lack of sunshine and light made me feel very depressed (also known as seasonal affective disorder).
- Though I love music, the most beautiful sound for me is the sound of silence – especially the peace and quiet in nature.
One of the things I enjoy most, since having started my blog, is discovering the many talented bloggers out there, all sharing their stories through beautiful words and pictures. If you, like me, are tired of the drivel in the daily news, start exploring blogs. From politics, books and news to travel, fashion and conservation, you are sure to find an excellent blogger who shares your passions.
My favourite new blog is Wayfarover, by Finnish university student Elina, who has been travelling since her childhood and can speak an impressive five languages. What I love about her travel posts is that she makes a point of getting to know more about the language, culture and history of the places she visits. For Elina, it is all about quality, not quantity. I also enjoyed Elina’s recent posts about Greece, a country I am also blogging about. And, we share a love for red lipstick!
I nominate the following 5 new blogs for the Liebster Award:
Liebster Award rules
- Thank the person who nominated you, and post a link to their blog on your blog. Try to include a little promotion for the person who nominated you.
- Display the award on your blog.
- Write a short description about your favourite blog and include a link to it.
- Provide 10 random facts about yourself.
- Nominate 5 – 11 blogs that you feel deserve the award, and who have fewer than 500 followers.
- List these rules in your post.
- Inform the blogger the happy news that you nominated them for the Liebster award and provide a link for them to your post so that they can learn more about it (they might not have even heard of it!)
Congratulations to the nominees and happy blogging!